Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Switch/Accelerate

Half way into the preparations for the Easter cantata, one of the tenors in the choir decided to bow out of the season due to some unknown reasons [to me at least]. It would have been okay on any given day that he pulled out, but under the circumstances -- with one of the older members of the tenors taking a leave of absence at the start of the year, leaving a shortage of tenors -- it was ill-timed and unexpected.

Nevertheless, God always has a better plan in mind. He always raises up another person to fill in and fulfill the vacated duty. In this case, it was I who was called on from the basses to take the slot with the tenors and help fortify the group -- at least that's what I feel the Spirit is leading me to do.

So, now I have officially switched sides -- I'm singing with the tenors for this Easter cantata, which by the way is called "Worthy of Worship!"

And that's not all. As this has been identified as a season of acceleration, a lot of things in my life and in the ministry has been moving, shifting, changing. The Lord has been calling His children to rise up, go further and do more for Him this year.

Not only is there choir practices for me these days -- three days in a week until we sing on March 15 -- there's also a project that needs to be done by March 5 for my discipleship training class. Then there's also the upcoming cafe/outreach activity that will be taking place in front of our church building, which should be very exciting.



Amidst all these, God reminds me: "It's not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain with tenors... in fact, with basses too. We have a huge shortage of tenors & basses (men in general) in the church choir I lead. Luckily, a few of our altos are helping out.

What music are you doing with your choir for Easter? :)

Our choir combines with the praise team/band of our contemporary service at Easter for a few songs. :)

Amanda
http://bethoumyvision.wordpress.com

Michael said...

hi amanda. thanks for sharing your thoughts. i am encouraged by the fact that this ministry of the choir is God's and that He supplies everything we need.

we're actually putting together a hodge podge of songs for this Easter's cantata, putting them under one unifying theme: God is worthy of worship.

in our choir right now, the sopranos are the strongest section in terms of number. but like i said, God takes care of the ministry. ;o)