Monday, February 16, 2009

Persistence Like a Dog!

One of the meanings of my last name is 'persistent'. Now more than ever, this character of persistence has been brought out and honed 'for such a time as this'. Sometimes I feel like a paki-alamero in the lives of some (or most) of the young men under my cell group because I doggedly watch over their lives, character and behavior like they're my own flesh and blood.

I've never had this kind of concern for young people before. This is God's doing! Hahaha! I used to have a passive role in terms of training and raising up the younger generation of men -- and women -- in our congregation. Now, it's a totally different story.

I believe this is one of my assignments in the Kingdom; that I am to persistently watch over these young men and help them "until the Lord gives them rest, as he has done for you, and until they too have taken possession of the land that the Lord your God is giving them." [Joshua 1:14-15]. I believe that this persistence, as prophesied by my last name, is given to equip me for this task. Otherwise, why would God name me as such.

I'm like a dog these days in the sense that I "go after with the intent to catch", "follow in or as if in pursuit", and "pursue or chase relentlessly" [from thefreedictionary.com]. What am I pursuing? What am I chasing after? What am I doggedly watching over these young men for? I'm after the fulfillment of the destinies that God has intended for these young men. I am after the realization of their purpose in the Lord. I want to see a Nazirite generation raised up right before my eyes during my lifetime. And as long as the Lord enables me to do so, I will continue to persist and doggedly pursue that by keeping tabs on the guys the Lord has entrusted to me.

If the Lord is relentless in pursuing me to see the fulfillment of His plans for me, why shouldn't I do the same for those He has placed under my care? I will do the things I see my Father do. Since He's persistent, so will I be.

No comments: