Thursday, July 10, 2008

Being the “Hands Under”

[notes taken by Arlene del Socorro from Pastor Jerry Berenguer’s preaching Sunday, July 6, 2008]

This Sundays' Word spoken through Pastor Jerry Berenguer was such an eye opener, not just as a member of the Maranatha congregation, but as a wife, a manager and as a choir member as well. From the Book of Exodus 17:8-16, Moses lifted his hands up to the throne of the Lord and for as long as his hands were lifted, Joshua and the Israelites were winning against the battle with the Amalekites. But when his hands grew weary and were lowered down, the Amalekites were winning. When this happened, Aaron and Hur held his hands up, one on each side, till sunset, so that Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.

1 Samuel 17:47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for THE BATTLE IS THE LORD'S, and He will give all of you into our hands."

Exodus 17:15-16 Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner. He said, "For hands were lifted up to the throne of the LORD. The LORD will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation."

Hands have to be lifted up to the throne of the Lord if we are to see victory in our home, in our community, in our office, in our city and in our nation. In Exodus, Moses was the one who had his hands lifted up to heaven and for as long as his hands were lifted up, the victory of the Lord was theirs. Moses represents the hands of those today, whose hands are or should be lifted up to the throne of God so that His banner may be over our lives. At home, those are my husbands hands, in Maranatha, those hands are Pastor Joe's hands, in the choir, those are Urduja's hands, in my office where I am the branch manager, those are my hands.

But like the example shown to us in Exodus, Pastor Jerry shares that while some of us are called to be the ones with hands lifted up like Moses, some are called to be like Joshua, with hands on the battle. Some of us are called to do the things that need to be done so that the hands that are to be lifted up are not worn down by these things. I have determined in my heart that I will do what I can do with the giftings that the Lord has given me to bless and honor the man or woman of God.

Some of us are also called to be the hands under the hands that need to be lifted up at all times. God really spoke to me through that Word. As a wife, I am to be like Aaron and Hur, who will serve as the hands under the hands of my husband whom God has placed over me. I am to hold my husband's hands up at all times, specially when he is wearied down, so that he may intercede for our family before the throne of God. As long as my husbands' hands are lifted up and my hands are under his, God will bring the victory.

No comments: